Unpleasant experiences can cause negative energies to collect in an area. Whether it’s a fight with your spouse, a time of grieving, or a bad day at work, these experiences can create less than desirable feelings in your space. That space can be your car, your home, your office, a specific room, an object, and even your own body. The more often unwanted moments occur in a specific area, the more negative energy gathers.
Have you ever walked into a building or someone’s home and just felt like you had to turn around and run? Have you ever met someone and felt a heaviness or sadness around them before they even spoke? It is most likely due to a collection of undesirable encounters that have imprinted negative energy on them. Fortunately, there are several ways to release unpleasant energy.
- Smudging: Many cultures throughout time have used the practice of smudging to help clear a space of negative energy and invite healing, positive energy in. Smudging is the burning of sacred plants or herbs for the use of the smoke. The smoke is believed to be spiritually cleansing and also healing. Many churches burn Frankincense and Myrrh during special ceremonies to purify the church members and repel evil entities. Native Americans have been known to burn White Sage and/or Palo Santo Wood for their cleansing rituals. Cedar Wood and Lavender are also known to be used for smudging. Fortunately, not that long ago, scientific research has actually proven that smudging can in fact disinfect the air by removing airborne bacteria. How cool is that? If you choose to smudge, please consider using the method most closely associated with your ancestors. Also, please do your research and do your best to purchase your smudging supplies from a responsibly sourced company.
- Salt: Some believe that salt can absorb negative energies. You might find Himalayan salt lamps in spiritual work spaces, waiting rooms or next to a bed. These lamps are believed to draw in any unpleasant energies near by and leave a positive vibration in its place. However, you don’t need a salt lamp to take advantage of the cleansing properties of salt. You can use any salt you like to help you clear energy but, the less processed and more natural it is, the better. There is a tradition of pouring salt around the border of a new property or around a new home to help release the energies of the previous owners and to set good intentions for the new owners. If you feel a room needs extra good vibes, you can sprinkle salt in the corners and allow it to sit for a day or two, so that it can absorb any unwanted energies. You can also give your house an overall boost by placing salt in the four main corners of your home with the intention of it clearing and repelling negative energy. If you feel you need a regular cleaning of energies, bowls of salt in each room can also be helpful.
- Essential Oils: You can purchase or make your own clearing spray with essential oils, crystals and/or salt. Some common oils used in clearing sprays are Frankincense, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Lavender, Cedar Wood, and Sage. I like to use a four ounce glass amber spray bottle with 10 drops of Frankincense essential oil, 20 drops of Lavender essential oil, 2 tablespoons of Witch Hazel and I top it off with distilled water. You can add a few small quartz crystals for amplification. Essential oils can also be diffused to clear the energy of a space. If you have sensitivities to smoke, this is a great alternative for smudging.
- Crystals: A few of my favorite crystals for cleansing properties are Clear Quartz, Selenite and Black Tourmaline. You can place crystals in areas that need clearing or you can wear them. Clear Quartz is often referred to as the “master healer”. It is known to promote clarity and amplify but, most importantly it is known for clearing negative energies. Selenite is also often used for clearing and cleansing spaces of unwanted energies as well. It can be used for cleansing the energy of other crystals too. Selenite is a great crystal to have in a work space due to it’s calming effects and ability to promote focus. Black Tourmaline is a wonderful crystal for grounding, removing unfavorable energies and for protection. After cleansing an area, Black Tourmaline can be used to repel negative energy. Crystals are fantastic tools to work with when cleansing a space but, do not forget to care for them. They need to be cleansed, charged and programed regularly to be at their best.
- Declutter: As mentioned before, objects can collect energy. The more items in your space, the more energy can be gathered. You may consider removing anything that is not necessary to your space. If it doesn’t serve the purpose of your greatest good, then it has no place in your space. This also applies to mental clutter held within yourself. Contemplate reflecting on what you spend your time thinking about. Is it beneficial to your wellbeing? If it is not, then think about releasing it. Physical clutter, emotional clutter and mental clutter are all linked. Usually if you have disorganization in one area, you most likely have it in another.
- Meditation: You can absolutely meditate to release negative energy. You can practice grounding meditations where you picture the unwanted energy being drained out of you, your home, your work space, or even a situation. Visualize the negativity being released into the earth. It is a natural purifier. Once cleansed, the energy will be used by Mother Earth to positively feed the world. Meditation is one of the best ways to release negative energy from your body.
- Epsom Salt Baths: Since we now know that salt is believed to naturally absorb negative energies, Epsom Salt baths are an ideal and enjoyable way to detox yourself from unwanted energies. You can even add essential oils to your bath for an extra oomph. The best part of an Epsom Salt bath is that it can also help replenish your magnesium and aid in muscle relaxation.
- Sunshine and Fresh Air: Let Mother Nature help you out by opening your windows and allowing some fresh air in. Stagnant energy can carry and promote the growth of unwanted energy, like stagnant air can carry and promote the growth of unwanted germs. Consider letting your home breathe and invite fresh and positive vibrations in. Sunlight is also a great purifier. Think about how lovely it feels when the sun breaks through the clouds and hits your face. Doesn’t it make you want to instantly smile and fill you with positive feelings? Open your curtains and blinds on your next sunny day and fill your space with one of nature’s greatest sources of light, in both the physical and energy sense.
- Sound: Playing uplifting music can help raise your vibrations and clear out unwelcome energies from a space. The sound of a beating drum, the song of a singing bowl, ringing bells and even playing certain frequencies can push negative energies out of a space with their sound waves.
It is not necessary for you to use all of the options listed above. I suggest trying each one out and seeing which one comes most naturally to you or intuitively feels right for you. You might use a different technique based on how you feel that day or in the moment and that’s fine too. It’s mostly about the intention behind the action. So, if you don’t feel comfortable with one process, try a different one and make it your own.