You probably learned a lot of how-to’s in 2020, like how to live in a pandemic, how to quarantine, how to social distance, and how to wear a mask. However, you most likely didn’t learn how to recognize a spiritual awakening. With 2020 now being referred to as the year of the Great Awakening, a lot of you probably had or are currently experiencing your spiritual awakening. How do you know?
Well, a spiritual awakening, also known as a spiritual ascension, is when you finally begin to be aware of the world beyond yourself. You begin to acknowledge that there is more to life than what is physically in front of you. During a spiritual awakening, you wake up to the idea that there is purpose to your existence and you begin to question it. A spiritual awakening is the first step in everyone’s spiritual journey.
Spiritual awakenings are often, but not always, triggered by a life changing event. A few common experiences that may trigger a spiritual awakening are: a loved one falling ill or passing away, a car accident, a major health scare, or a near death experience.
Not sure if you are at the start of your spiritual journey? Here are some examples of what people commonly experience during a spiritual awakening:
- You probably have recently had a great epiphany, an “aha” moment. You may also suddenly feel like you have a greater understanding of life.
- Your spiritual journey has become your first priority, with the need to discover your purpose being a close second.
- You are now questioning your beliefs and what you’ve been taught. You are seeking answers and have a strong desire to learn as much as you can about spirituality.
- The person you have been has now become a stranger. You feel uncomfortable staying the same and feel the need to figure out who you truly are. You long to discover your higher self.
- You have started to listen to and trust your “gut” feeling, your intuition. Your inner voice has got your attention.
- You are most likely beginning to trust the Universe and/or God. As you relinquish your control to a higher power you become less fearful, anxious, and worrisome.
- You begin to see people for who they truly are. You are able to easily detect if they are being authentic or disingenuous. Because of this, relationships have either begun to fade or they may be getting deeper.
- Negative situations and people no longer hold your interest. You have probably begun to avoid them. This may lead to you creating distance between some friends and even some family members, for your own wellbeing.
- You may be feeling alone or lost, which is leading you to seek out others like you. You want to find your tribe to have those deep, meaningful conversations with.
- You are becoming less judgmental of yourself and others. You have come to the realization that we are all on our own journey. We each have our own experiences that are meant to help us learn and grow soulfully.
- You have begun to pay closer attention to your dreams, probably because they are more vivid now. Being aware of your dreams can help you take a closer look at yourself or you may find messages within them.
- Coincidences are now a thing of the past. Synchronicities, like angel numbers and divine timing, and déjà vu (sensing as if you had already experienced a moment although it has not happened before) have become common place for you.
- There is a feeling of having a stronger connection with nature and animals. Being outdoors can make you feel recharged. Water mostly likely brings you calm and peace. When in the presence of pets (your own or someone else’s) you can probably feel the unconditional love they offer.
- An interest in spiritual experiences begins to flourish. You might find yourself dabbling in things like understanding the healing properties of crystals, learning to meditate, practicing yoga, etc.
- It is common to have some physical symptoms too, like tingling on the top of your head, ringing in your ears, fatigue, insomnia, brain fog and headaches. (However, these symptoms can also be a sign of a medical condition, so please consult a medical professional.)
- You may have a new desire to help others or a stronger need to help them. You will probably be looking for ways to help humanity as a whole.
- People who can help you along your journey begin to show up in your life. Whether it is a new teacher, a new friend or a person who is in your life for just a moment of time, you will find that there are many people entering your world to offer you an opportunity for learning.
- Recognizing we are all energetically connected, you begin to see the world and the people in it very differently. It is as if a veil has been lifted and you can see more clearly but you still have so many questions.
If the list above resonates for you, welcome to your spiritual awakening. You are at the beginning of your self-discovery, your pathway to peace. This journey is not a short one. It will take effort and time and a whole lot of releasing ego. Are you ready?
(I’d like to give a big “Thank you” to my good friend, Glenda Cabras, for helping me with the content for this piece.)