There are lots of ways you can spiritually cleanse your home. The most commonly known method is called smudging. Smudging is an ancient practice performed by indigenous cultures to clear negativity. To simplify it, smudging is the act of burning sacred plants or herbs, like Sage, to access the purifying properties of the smoke. The smoke is believed to be spiritually cleansing, as well as healing.
Smudging is a ritual that is similar to the religious practice of burning Frankincense and Myrrh, which are both resins collected from plants. They are often used in church ceremonies to deter evil and cleanse the souls of church members. Similarly, Native Americans have been known to burn White Sage and/or Palo Santo Wood for their cleansing rituals. Cedar Wood, tobacco and Sweetgrass are also known to be used for smudging.
Below is an example of how you can use smudging to cleanse the energy in your home.
Items Needed for Smudging:
- Sacred herbs of your choice: Sage, Palo Santo, Lavender, etc
- Small fire safe container/bowl to catch ashes and place lit herbs in. Some people like to use an Abalone shell but it is not necessary.
- Something to fan the embers and direct the smoke. Often times you’ll see people use a large feather. However, a folded piece of paper, envelope or anything that can create a breeze will work.
- Lighter or Matches
Steps for Smudging Your Home:
- Prepare a prayer or declaration that will set the intention of clearing the unwanted energy from your home. You will recite this prayer as you make your way through your home with the sacred smoke. I like to say: “Thank you God, Angels, Ancestors and Guides for clearing all negative and unwanted energies from this space. Thank you for allowing only positive and healing energies into this space.” However, you can say whatever feels best for you.
- Open all your curtains and blinds to let as much natural light in as possible. Sunlight itself has uplifting and healing properties of its own.
- Open all inside doors to bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, and even the basement, to provide an easy route for the unwanted energies to exit your home. It also makes it easier for you to access every corner of your home for a thorough cleansing.
- Take the time to cleanse your own energy before you begin to clear the energy from your home.
- Gather your supplies and light your herbs. Start on one side of your front door and slowly make your way around your home directing your clearing smoke up toward where the wall meets the ceiling. Do this in each room and in every corner, closet and dark space. You will do this on every floor of your home and make your way back to the front door, ending on the opposite side of the door from where you started.
If you choose to smudge, especially with sacred herbs and plants, please consider using the method that is most closely associated with your ancestors. Also, please do your research and do your best to purchase your smudging supplies from a responsibly sourced company.